a kiss was not just a kiss

Hey doc....Long time no talk...Well I am backi in this with a new concern. I recently kissed a girl I 've been going out with for a a couple of weeks. It was a deep open mouth kiss for like 10 minutes. I know that is no reason to be concerned but im sxcared she may have had a cut in her mouth. After dinner over a drink she said she bit her tongue. Without realizing We had that kiss like 30 miuntes to an hour later. I asked after if she had bleed and she was offended stating i would never kiss if you if I was bleeding. So I am asking The Big " WHAT IF"...Is it possible.

Hey Let me know if I can help out again this year for the silent auction.

Regards, MW (master worried)

Hey Master Worrier,

Welcome back to the forum!

Your concern is a common one. Since I'm a musical kind of guy, I can answer it by simply pointing out that you misquoted the famous line from that famous song in the title of your question. It really is "A kiss is just a kiss . . . as time goes by . . . ." Even if she had bit her tongue before your 10 minutes of tonsil hockey, there is no real risk of HIV transmission from what you describe. Luckily, HIV is much more difficult to contract than that. If it weren't, I think the whole world would have been wiped out by now, except for Dick Cheney, because no one would ever want to kiss that permanently snarling face of his.

If both you and your date had significant tongue bites that were both actively bleeding, and if your partner was HIV positive, and if you allowed a significant blood-to-blood exposure to occur with intense tongue-on-tongue action, then there would be at least a theoretical risk for HIV transmission. But, Master Worrier, this would have to look like a scene from a bad low-budget horror film Dracula meets Draculina.

Next, I wanted to thank you once again for your generous contribution to our silent auction for last year's Concerted Effort: A Concert for World AIDS Day. We would be delighted if you would like to contribute again this year! Concerted Effort 2004 is scheduled of December 5, 2004 and will take place at the new Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. Any and all donations to our silent and live auctions, as well as to our grand raffle, are warmly appreciated. I'll have the Foundation send you the formal letter of request for your files.

Stay well, MW, and please know that your generosity and compassion have touched many lives. On their behalf, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

Best personal regards,

I Apologize LOTS: Why Do You Ignore The Tough Questions, Dr. Bob
re: Shingles 3 weeks afterward