Needle stick injury

My son is an intern medical doctor who has had a needle stick injury from a very sick HIV infant.He has been supplied by his hospital with Zidovudine(100mg)twice a day and been advised to take Indinavir(400mg)every 8 hours as well because concentrations of the virus are increased in an infant.Is this combination adequate, effective and can he expect severe side effects for the duration of his 28 day treatment against being infected with HIV.As a mom, I don't have much medical knowledge but am concerned about his chances of contracting HIV from a needle stick injury(side of his hand, but was wearing gloves)of this nature and also side effects of the medication.

I'm not sure where you are writing from or where your son is doing his internship, but hospitals and medical facilities should have a protocol in place to deal with the evaluation and management of occupational exposures. These include the use of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) when the exposure is considered to be significant. The medication doses indicated in your question are low. Zidovudine should be 300 mg twice per day, and indinavir, 800 mg every eight hours on an empty stomach. In recent years, Indinavir is rarely used for PEP, due to dosing inconvenience (every eight hours on an empty stomach) and potential side effects, such as kidney stones. If your son has not already done so, I'd suggest he consult an HIV/AIDS specialist at his hospital to review his current management and plans for appropriate follow-up. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) has published guidelines that you and/or he can access at the CDC's website. Also, please advise your son that he can contact me here if has additional concerns.

Recieved oral sex - got tested - guess what? Thanks for helping.
todays posting FREAKED me out