Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help: Protected risky behavior
Jul 4, 2004

I am scared and concerned. I had protected anal sex with a sex worker...but, I found out after, she was a drug addict. It was dark, and after the act, she lit up a crack pipe...she also had some weird skin condition in a couple places (around her ankle and near her breast - the one on her breast had a band aid on it). The skin issue looked like a small circle of peeled skin. Needless to say, I am sick to my stomach...I saw the doctor the next day and he said that if the condom was used correctly, I should still be OK. I am going to get tested, but I am having trouble "living, working, etc." I am concerned about herpes as well since I put my fingers inside both her vagina and anus.

Can you help calm my fears? I am taking a Zpack and doxycycline to combat potential for syphilis and others. Also, what is that skin condition, is it related to her drug addiction? Last, is there any value whatsoever to HIV and HSV 1 and 2 tests at one week? Does it give me any level of comfort?

Anyway, a donation will be coming on payday. This has been a life changing event. I don't know what the hell I was doing...now I have really stepped outside myself and begain to look at my risky behavior. I just hope I have one more miricle of negative tests. I want to stop feeling this way so I can get on with living. I need to get rid of this shame and loneliness.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree with your doctor. If the latex condom didn't fail and if you used it properly, your HIV risk should be essentially non-existent. HIV testing is not considered definitive until at least three months have passed from the time of the potential exposure. Consequently, testing earlier is not recommended or helpful.

Regarding other STDs, your physician will screen you as needed or if any symptoms develop, which would be unlikely based on your exposure.

Can I help calm your fears? I hope so. Your fears seem to be way out of proportion to any real risk.

Thank you for your donation! I'll also look forward to hearing back from you when you get your definitive negative HIV test results. Start practicing your WOO-HOO. OK? I'm sure you'll be yelling it very soon.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, I OWE YOU A BIG THANKS!!! (My WOO HOO!!)
Next
oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.