stop being prejudice against short people!

Bob, Your the man! sorry about the title but I feel like your neglecting me because of my height (you may ask "how do I even know your height?") Anyway, have you ever seen a false negative PCR DNA test taken >28 days in an adult? Do you know of any documented that ended up being positive with ELISA or another test later down the road? Thanks for your input. I hope to buy you a beer someday. shorty

Hey Shorty,

Neglect you because of your height? No, never! Maybe I just didn't see you way down there! Actually, I'm only 5'8" myself! I'm well aware life is not fair to us height-challenged folks. Do you realize short people are the last people to know it's raining, but the first people to drown??? What could be more unfair than that?

OK, regarding PCR-DNAs, as you know (or maybe do not know), PCRs are not recommended for routine HIV screening, due to a variety of reasons, particularly false-positive results. Consequently, we don't have large-scale studies available to answer your question. Certainly false-positive results are more of a problem than false-negatives when using PCR technology.

Personally, I have not seen a false-negative PCR DNA at 28 days that later turned out to be ELISA-positive; however, that certainly doesn't mean it has never occurred. Also remember I don't recommend PCRs for routine screening anyway, so my chances of seeing this phenomenon would be very slight. PCR DNA (and RNA) can be a very useful test. It just needs to be used in the proper context.

Hope that helps. Do I still get the beer? Stay well, short-stuff.

u are a great man, indeed.
Dr. Bob, I OWE YOU A BIG THANKS!!! (My WOO HOO!!)