Please respond - I am horribly worried

Dear Doctor Bob, During a separation from my girl friend, she had vaginal protected sex on one occasion with another man. We recently got back together. Because the sex was protected (I trust her with all my heart)I had unprotected sex with her twice. Now I am very worried that I may have contracted HIV from her. Based on the fact that her previous sex episode was protected, do I need to test? I am worried sick. Thank you for your help; a donation is coming.

If a latex condom was used properly and did not fail, the chance for HIV transmission is essentially nonexistent. HIV can not pass through intact latex.

Whether or not to get HIV tested is up to you. All I can do is offer my opinion on the level of risk, based on the information you provide in your question. Based on that information, the HIV risk would be negligible. That said, however, testing may be the best way to calm your fears. I must also point out that unprotected sex, despite trusting her with all your heart, still carries some degree of risk for STD transmission, including HIV.

VERY PARANOID NY'ER
Extra-large Woo-Hoo!