Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

UNPROTECTED SEX WITH STRIPPER, AM I INFECTED? WILL DONATE!
Jul 4, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob,

Welcome back. I have been counting the days until your return! I am in desperate need of your expertise. I had a high risk exposure with a female that in all liklihood is hiv +, based on what the lady's family told me about her ill health. I found out she had lost over 50 lbs the past year, breaks out with purplish lesions on her skin every few months, etc.

The risk involved unprotected vaginal and oral sex. I never did ejaculate during 2 hour sexcapade.

This incident happened in June 2003. Three months later, I was stricken with fatigue, which has remained to this day! Other symptoms include rashes that come and go, small blood-like blisters inside the cheeks of my mouth, streaks of blood in my nasal mucus, large pimples on my back, 3 months of aching in nodes on left side of neck, and constant beads of sweat (oil) in eyelids and grooves on side of my nose. Also, nostrils have been getting watery for over two months.

I have had about 12 Elisa tests done since September. The most recent being on June 24, 2004. (12 MONTHS POST EXPOSURE) All negative.

I am concerned that I may have either been infected with a rare strain, such as group O or N viruses. I understand that such rare strains do not elicit antibody responses.

Or the other fear is that the stripper I slept with was superinfected(had two different strains of hiv), thus making it more difficult for my body to respond.

Dr. Bob, Please, I beg you, can you address my concerns? I have tried to write you before, but have not received a response.

Please let me know how I can Donate ! Thanx.

Worried in Southern California

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Southern Californian,

Twelve negative ELISA tests since September? Dude, eggs come by the dozen, not HIV tests! What the heck are you doing? A single test at three months, and if necessary a follow-up test at six months, is the most you would ever need! Your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV ARS.

Rare strains? Superinfections? No, the chances of this being the case would be essentially nonexistent. You need help with your anxiety and irrational fear of HIV, not more HIV tests. Ask your doctor for a referral for counseling if no physical cause can be found for your symptoms.

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-exempt donation to my foundation. Donation information can be found on the Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck. Feel better. OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Celexa and my eight month test reult
Next
can my dog get aids?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.