My boyfriend cheated and now I have proctitis....could it be herpes?

Dr. Frascino,

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.

Two months ago my boyfriend topped another guy without a condom. The next day he topped ME without a condom without telling me what had happened. A couple of days later we were both being treated for gonorrhea. Both of our symptoms seemed to clear up until about three weeks ago when I started experiencing severe pain in my rectum, followed by mucus in my stool. I went to the doctor and he confirmed that my infection had never cleared up and that the result was a case of proctitis. He gave me a shot of Ceftriaxone and gave me a weeks worth of Doxycycline. My symptoms cleared up quickly but the tests he ran for gonorrhea and syphilis came back negative. My boyfriend never tested positive for Chlamydia, so the only other cause of the infection that I can likely consider is herpes. Clearly I'm hoping that this is NOT the case, but I'm suspicious especially because I've noticed a small firm lump in my anus since the infection cleared up.

What do you suggest I do now. Can a blood test determine whether I have herpes simplex II? I've had cold sores (simplex I) my whole life. Will the test be able to differentiate?

And of course I realize that I need to go back to using condoms with my boyfriend. Although we have a closed relationship, I know now that unfortunately things sometimes happen.

It certainly does sound like you and your boyfriend had an STD. I would not immediately assume herpes simples II is the culprit, based on the information you provided. I would, however, suggest you make a follow-up appointment with your doctor to evaluate any persistent symptoms (the "small firm lump"). Additional diagnostic tests can be obtained as indicated. For me to hypothesize about the potential cause (or causes) and possible tests to run is not going to be helpful. Following up with your doctor, on the other hand, will be helpful. Using condoms with your boyfriend (and other sex partners) is essential.

WAITING FOR AN ANSWER FROM DR. BOB??? READ THIS!!!
low risks and testing