The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do i need more tests before i can marry

Jun 15, 2004

Hy Dr.Bob first of all i wan`t tell you that i think you are a wonderfull person, and to forgive me for my bad english, I`m from southamerica and 3 months ago i met with my old girlfriend and we want to marry, as soon as we decided i got tested, thanks to god the result was negative, but my question is: I got tested 4 1/2 months after i gave oral sex to a woman with out protection, and 2 1/2 months after i had vaginal protected sex with the same women, do you think i need more tests or i can be sure I`m HIV negative. Please Bob here in my country isn`t any reliable source of information about aids and test so you are the only one able to clear it out for me, Thanks for all the help, I wish that there would be more people like you in our world


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello South America-Guy,

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. If a latex condom was used properly and did not fail, "protected vaginal sex" should indeed be "protected." Assuming that is the case, then oral sex is your only real risk, and a very slight one at that. I would consider a negative HIV test three months or more after the potential exposure definitive. Consequently, your 4 month test would be conclusive. WOO-HOO!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I wish you both happiness and health.

Dr. Bob

Doc BOB, you have something against Kilts?
Threesome Nightmare, Part II

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint