Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shingles 3 weeks afterwards.
Jun 8, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob

Please read. I'm a 37 y/o married man. I went to asian massage parlor. At the end of the massage I told the woman to only wanted a hand job. However, her back was to me and I'm pretty sure she used her mouth on me for 5-10 sec. Since then I've had an extreme amount of distress and anxiety (I have OCD). It's all I think about. I took doxycycline for about 2 weeks starting the same day of the incident.

1. I developed a mild sore throat several days afterward the incident which lasted for about a week. (side effect of doxycycline?)

2. The following week later I had an episode of night sweats and awoke with a rash (due to sweating?) which disappeared within 20-30 min. in the morning. Then exactly 1 week later I developed shingles (2 reddish linear crops/blisters on my abdomen 0.5in x 2.0 in). They did not hurt though. They healed within a week. But since the shingles were healing/healed I've been having episodic minor muscle aches and pains (thigh, leg, ankle, back and hand) . could this be from the Herpes Zoster or HIV? I had a varicella titer done about 15 years ago and it was low.

It's been almost 6 weeks now and I haven't had any other symptoms. I've been taking my temp. since the incident and it's never been higher than 98 degrees. I had an HIV test several years ago which was negative. My wife and I have been together for last 5 years. I've always used condoms in the past and I never had any intercourse with a sex worker before this. To make matters more complicated my wife is pregnant and our first child is to be born in 2 months. She is HIV negative. We haven't had any sexual relations since she been pregnant but she often asks what's the matter. I haven't told her b/c I don't want to worry her with baby due soon.

Could you please give me you thoughts on the following symptoms I had the past 6 weeks. Particularly the etiology of the muscle aches and pains. Do you think also do I have a cause for concern for HIV infection? Thank you for your time. I will make a $100 donation to the foundation later this week.

Dan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dan,

Do I think you have a cause for concern about HIV infection? No, absolutely not.

Hand jobs carry no HIV risk. Even if your Asian rub-a-dub-dub gal decided "to use her mouth for the 5-10 secs," as you mentioned, the HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent. If you remain worried, get HIV tested at three months. In my opinion, this would be only for your own peace of mind.

Your muscle aches and pains may be due to your anxiety and guilt over this episode. Have your doctor check you over, if symptoms persist. Also, considering you have OCD, some counseling may be helpful, if no medical cause can be found for your symptoms.

I also suggest discussing the whole situation honestly with your wife as the best way to confront your anxiety over this whole issue.

Thank you for your donation. It's warmly appreciated. Congratulations on soon becoming a Dad!

Dr. Bob

Previous
2 hours on your WEBPAGE
Next
aggressive virus vs. nice virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.