Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sharing cigarettes
Jun 6, 2004

Dear Dr Bob

First off I would like to say that you are a marvel and this is a fantastic website you are helping a great many people.

I have two quick questions about sharing cigarettes.

1, If a person gave me one of their cigarettes and I smoked it what are the chances of me catching hiv if I smoked the cigarette as soon as they handed it over and perhaps the person who gave the cigarette had cuts on their fingers and I had cut and chapped lips. Or if it was a rolled cigarette that the person had just rolled and they had cuts on their hands and me smoking it straight away with cut and chapped lips?

2, If I am with someone who is smoking a cigarette and we are passing it between us, they take a drag and then straight away I take one what are the chances of getting hiv if we both have cut and chapped lips?

Thanks for all the support through the years

Best wishes,

ex-cigarette smoker.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

So the cigarette was just rolled and you are passing it between you . . . . OK, now just what kind of cigarette was this and did you get the munchies shortly afterward?

There is no HIV risk from sharing "cigarettes," even if you happen to be sharing them with members of The Grateful Dead. However, if these are really "tobacco" cigarettes, they do carry significant non-HIV health risks, and I would suggest you consider putting other things in your mouth instead.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Woohoooo this time for sure
Next
Severe nausea after exposure to Bush speech...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.