Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

no exposure
Jun 4, 2004

Bob how is it going buddy. You answered someones question regarding sex twice with hooker and blood on condom. Your quote is no exposure no risk. I disagree with that statement totally. When a person sleeps with hookers there is more risk even if a condom is worn. And if there is blood even greater risk. Condoms are not bullet proof protection. If a person has sex with a hooker and she is mensturating then this I would say is a risk. Maybe not a great risk but risk none the less. Be careful with the answers you give, because people take them as the gospel. When you say oral poses very very low risk people are taking that as well I can do this and it should be safe. This attitude is one that leads to uneventful behaviors. Why not say oral is less likely to lead to hiv exposure than other forms of sex.. This sounds more like the risk is there maybe I should proceed with caution. You can not just think that a condom is going to save you every time and you can stick your tool in any box and there wont be a problem. This is not logical. Behavior patterns are habitual and if you fuck hooker with condoms there is going to be a day when you are drunk or just forget out of stupidity to put the condom on and bam you are screwed. And this will be the day that person remembers your quote no exposure no risk.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree that "condoms are not bullet-proof protection." A bullet shot at a condom will definitely break through. However, once again, let me try to reassure you and our readers that HIV cannot pass through intact latex. No how; no way!

I also disagree with you on your risk assessment of hookers. It's not the person; it's the exposure that counts. One in 250 Americans is HIV+; however, only one in 500 knows he/she is positive. So there is quite a bit of unrecognized HIV out there, and HIV could care less if you're Hooker Booty-licious or Sister Mary Missionary Position. Avoiding hookers, but not using condoms properly, is much riskier than having sex with a pro.

As for oral sex, the facts are the facts. Oral sex poses a very small risk for HIV transmission. I believe people need to know the scientific facts and then decide for themselves what level of risk is acceptable. An analogy would go like this: Do you proceed through an intersection on a yellow (caution) light? Some folks speed through while others slam on the breaks. Most go through a yellow light if they think "it's safe enough", even though the light is indeed a "caution" light. Right?

As for "tools" and tool boxes, I think the only logical thing is to know how to protect yourself. HIV risk is the same per episode no matter who owns the toolbox.

By the way, what's an "uneventful behavior?" I would consider that a night of not scoring nookie.

As for "forgetting" to put a condom on, you are correct. That is a mistake and does lead to potential exposures to STDs, including HIV. However, how does that very definite "exposure" risk relate to my "no exposure, no risk" statements? As Dr. Spock would say, "Captain, that's not logical!"

OK guy, stay well; live long and prosper.

Dr. Bob

Previous
please help, indeterminate western blots at 1 year
Next
Its that Aussie again please doc very concerned

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.