Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

by the way..and more about bush
Jun 1, 2004

Hi, I will simplify my question this time in hopes that it will make it easier to answer. i was so frantic the last time, i asked about a hundred questions in 1 post. My fiancee who is Brazilian has herpes zoster last september. her doctor never asked her to follow up with an HIV test. i tested negative but she cant get tested for a while. She had unprotected sex just a handful of times before me. what is the transmission rate for females per act of sex? also, you mentioned that herpes zoster acts differently in HIV patients. could you please explain that? If its an early symptom, couldnt it act like it would in people without HIV? thanks for answering. Big Democrat here. I have a gut feeling this is Bush's last year, so all you demmies out there dont worry too much. his personal hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

I just posted about shingles and transmission. Dr. Bob, i wanna tell you something i dont think you should put on your forum since its not really a question but ive been reading many of your responses to these people. you truly are inspirational and people like you are erasing the stigma of this disease. your upbeat attitude makes me not fear it as much. even if my gf might or might not have it, the way you handle yourself and being 15 years positive amazes me. I can see how you give hope and inspiration for people with this disease and its truly wonderful. You should be president man! Can you imagive if Bush spent that 151 billion on AIDS research instead of a war without a cause that is killing americans instead of saving them? I can see you doing something like that. Sometimes I just dont know whats wrong with this world. okay now im just babbling. so peace out.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

No, you're not babbling. To see real babbling, just tune into a Bush news conference when the questions are not scripted. Now that's babbling!

OK, back to your question. Herpes zoster (shingles) is a reactivation of chicken pox! Although it sometimes can be a sign of a weakened immune system, particularly if the rash is very severe and occurs extensively on both sides of the body, as opposed to the more usual presentation occurring only on one side and corresponding to one specific nerve pathway.

Regarding the estimation of risk for HIV transmission per sex act, I've referenced the statistics many times in the archives. Just to reiterate, the per-episode risk of unprotected receptive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 0.1% to 0.2%. The risk increases to 0.1% to 3% for unprotected anal receptive sex, again that assumes a partner confirmed to be HIV positive. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. There is no statistical risk estimate number that I can provide for that.

Why can't your fiancée get tested now? So long as it's been at least three months since her last potential exposure, the results should be accurate.

Yes, 151 billion dollars would certainly have won the war on AIDS and saved lives. I strongly doubt history will look kindly on the legacy of Bush and his cronies.

Stay well! Congratulations on your engagement! Has your sweetie taught you to samba yet?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Polyurethane or Latex?
Next
English Sasuages

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.