Worried SIck Please Answer

Dr. bob i want tell you that you give so much hope and perspective to people who are dealing with this disease, and i will be making a donation.

ok here goes... me and my best friend went to Las Vegas for my 22 birthday last January 2003..while we were there I met an older lady who said she wanted to "party" with me and my best...so we went had some drinks and went back to the hotel room... she wanted both me and my friend, but my friend was dating a girl at the time so he didn't join in...she went down on me and we had unprotected vaginal sex. the next day I woke up I noticed my penis burning, I immediately panicked..I knew we were flying home that day so I tried to stay calm..the whole plane ride home...the penis was on fire and my leg was going numb...once I got home I came down with a fever, and serious fatigue. and this was still the next day! I swear it felt like a mack truck hit me twice, i've never felt that way in my life. I called the STD clinic in my area NYC. I got checked for STD's and they all came back negative, the doc. was really nice to me and said I had some "inflammation" and not to worry, they told me I shouldn't take an HIV test until 3 months...I started to get these bumps on my face, chest and arms. let's fast forward to May 2004, my bones are so sore! i've had blood in my urine (once), blood in my stool (once), and sometimes my stool is green....the bumps mostly went away..but they left these spots...i didn't go back and get tested like i should have...mainly for 2 reasons...being scared and thinking i was a worried well who was stressing to much..i know that none of this matters but there's a history of HIV/AIDS in my family my brother has had it for close to 10 years and my 2 cousins have died from it....besides this one time i've always been primarly safe...i've had 2 steady girlfriends we never used condoms because they were taking the pill and before that i always used condoms because i was afraid of the girls getting pregnant...in some ways i feel like i'm already HIV+...but i'm still holding on to that hope that i'm not! i'm really scared. for myself and for my mom who is having a hard time with my brother... he's full blown AIDS now....i just really wish Vegas never happened. what's funny is i tried to get condoms and she said they irritated her..what your advice dr. bob if any. or words of encouragement would be nice also.

Hello Vegas Birthday Boy,

Perhaps I should make a few comments while addressing your concerns.

1. Since this was only your 22nd birthday bash, I'm not surprised the "lady" was older. She couldn't have been too much younger without being jail bait.

2. HIV symptoms do not occur within 24 hours! They generally take weeks to occur.

3. Mack trucks rarely have to hit you twice to make you feel like shit.

4. I agree with the advice the STD clinic doctor gave you.

5. Not using condoms with your two steady girlfriends because they were taking the pill does not qualify for being "primarily safe."

6. "Feeling like you are HIV+" and actually being HIV positive are two completely different things. Remember the day after you shagged that old granny you felt like you had an STD but all the tests came back negative.

7. The "symptoms" you described are not suggestive of HIV ARS.

8. Neither of your two reasons for not going back to get HIV tested should prevent you from going back now.

9. I'm sorry to hear about your brother and cousins. With the reality of HIV/AIDS striking within your family, you should be all the more aware that HIV/AIDS is not a distant threat, but a clear and present danger. I would hope witnessing the consequences of HIV/AIDS would also stimulate you to learn about and adopt methods of protecting yourself from HIV.

10. Wishing Vegas never happened doesn't help. It's like wishing Bush weren't president. Shit happens. The most important thing is to admit your mistakes, confront them, and most important, learn from them, just as we've all learned that Bush can "muck up" not only our country, but the entire world. So you know what you have to do get tested and start being safe (even with "steady girlfriends"). And we know what we have to do make sure Bush #2 follows Bush #1 as a one-term presidential mistake.

11. For future reference, latex condoms really can cause "irritation." In fact, some folks are truly "allergic" to latex. However, this does not mean that commando or blue balls are your only options. Polyurethane condoms are available at any drugstore, and can be used safely in "latex-allergic" individuals.

12. A lady who wants to party unprotected with both you and your buddy is probably not much of a lady.

My advice is simple get tested now and do not place yourself at risk in the future.

My words of encouragement Because of your personal experience with HIV, you may well have a heightened awareness and fear of the virus. Statistically, all the odds are in your favor for not having contracted HIV from your night in Sin City.

I'm sending you my very best luck. Now turn off the computer and go get tested.

Neg in Love with a Poz.
POST THIS PLEASE