Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need an answer. I want to make donation!
Jun 1, 2004

I am 32 years old, female. In 1996 I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. After that he told me that he slept with some other women. I didnt get sick at this time; actually I never get really sick all this 8 years. Now I am married for 5 years and didnt have another boyfriend between this one and my husband. 2-3 years ago I started to worry about HIV too much. I started to worry about so many other diseases. In these 2-3 years I had more than 20 blood tests, 5 times chest x-ray, 5 times ultrasound, 10 times ekg. and many many others. Everything was perfectly normal. I saw my family doctor 100 times, endocrinologist 10 times, cardiologist 5 times, neurologist 10 times and many many others. Everybody said that I am just fine. But I am still scared some times about HIV and dont feel strong enough to get tested. Last year I was diagnosed with health anxiety and since than the only doctor that I see is my psychiatrist. I am on Effexor already 6 months and feel much better. BTW nobody is sick. My ex boyfriend is fine, my husband is fine, my ex boyfriends wife is fine and I am fine too. What are my chances to be HIV +??? I am so scared to go for HIV test. Please, help me. How can I make donation from Bulgaria?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bulgaria,

Twenty blood tests, five chest x-rays, five ultrasounds, 10 EKGs, and many, many other tests plus 100 visits to the family doctor, 10 visits to the endocrinologist, five visits to the cardiologist, five visits to the cardiologist, five visits to the neurologist, plus many, many more??? I would guess the cost of your "health anxiety" diagnosis is fairly close dollar for dollar to the entire GNP of Bulgaria.

I'm delighted you are now seeing a psychiatrist and taking Effexor.

Your chances of being HIV positive are related to potential exposure risk. Unprotected receptive vaginal exposure with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is estimated to be between 0.1% and 0.2% per exposure. Your risk would be "less," since we do not know if your partner was HIV positive or not. The only way to determine if you are HIV positive or not, if you've placed yourself at risk, is to get an HIV test. The odds are all in your favor for not being HIV positive. If you are scared, continue to work with your psychiatrist to overcome your irrational fears. As you pointed out, you "started to worry about so many other diseases." I assume HIV is just one more in a series of things that you worry about but don't have!

Good luck. Donations can be made by check, direct wire transfer, or credit card. Details can be found at the Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Toppping An Undectable Btm.
Next
What have I ever done to you?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.