Nonreactive the same as Negative?

Hello Dr. Frascino,

I just got my hiv test (HIV1/HIV2 Ab EIA) results back. They were nonreactive. I read somewhere on your site that nonreactive does not necessarily mean negative. When is that the case? I've waited three months since the last possible exposure, and my risk was low in the first place. In this case, does that mean I'm negative?

I hope I'm posting in the right place - the lab forum seemed to be more for people infected.

Thanks!

You read what? I suggest you go back and reread that passage a bit more carefully, and if you remain concerned, copy the passage and send it back to me, and I'll try to clear up any confusion. But rest assured that non-reactive and negative are terms used interchangeably.

Stay well. Stay negative (i.e. stay non-reactive).

Sorry Dr. Could only donate $100 this month
hiv jumps