Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I'M GOING TO RIP MY TONGUE OUT
May 28, 2004

Dr. BOB, You are a fantastic guy, and the help you dish out to so many worried people out there is incredible. I would truly like to take a leaf out of your book good doctor. I have written a few times before but with no response as you are a busy boy i'm sure, but could you please take the time to help me out with one answer. I tested negative on an elisa 2nd generation test at 15 weeks, but now at the 19 week mark i am getting strange symptons. I've had a couple of sores in my mouth and smooth lesions on the tip of my tongue which feel like i have been scolded by something hot. ( i haven't ) The first one was on the left side of my tongue and went away after a week, and now has shifted to the right side of my tongue. It's weird, and i worry that it has something to do with HIV.My tongue also seems whitish i might add. Good doctor could you please write back to me, and I will donate as soon as i am back in Australia next month, i promise. another aussie guy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Down Under Oz-Guy,

Thanks for your kind words. You don't mention any details about your potential HIV exposure, so it's a bit difficult for me to give you a definitive opinion. However, assuming there are no extenuating circumstances like getting gang-banged by an entire Oz-Poz footy team without protective gear in place, I would advise that your 15-week negative ELISA is conclusive.

The tongue symptoms do not sound at all worrisome to me. What you describe is a relatively common phenomenon and not suggestive of HIV ARS. If you remain concerned, retest at six months, but I don't feel it's necessary or warranted. You have a greater chance of being done in by a funnel-web spider or a pack of super-sized Tasmanian Devils prowling Oxford Street.

Stay well Aussie. I'll be back in Sydney and Melbourne this summer.

Dr. Bob

Previous
will donate, please answer
Next
A Magic Soccer Game!(Please post)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.