Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diagnosed with pneumonia, still not tested for HIV
May 26, 2004

Im almost 100% sure that I have the HIV Virus. Last weekend I went to the emergency room to complain of chest pain which is pretty odd since Im a professional athlete and in top shape. They diagnosted me with some type of phnemonia which I though was pretty odd, they also asked if I've ever had an HIV test and I said yeah which was a lie. Im was set to make over 250,000 dollars next season but because of this I can't continue to play. More worrying is the the pain in my chest has increased and its been about 2 weeks now. Whats the pain in the chest or lunga and what should i do? Can I ask for a viral load with out being tested for HIV? Please help I need answers...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You are "almost 100% sure that you have HIV," because you were "diagnosted with some type of phnemonia?" What's phnemonia? OK, let's assume you mean "diagnosed with pneumonia". First off, the vast vast majority of cases of pneumonia have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. Second, just because you are in "top shape" doesn't mean you can't get pneumonia or any of a number of other chest diseases bronchitis, asthma, lung cancer, etc. If your lungs or chest hurt, you should see your family doctor for an evaluation. Last, regarding HIV, if you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you should be HIV tested. Asking for a viral load test without even knowing if you have HIV disease makes no sense.

You state that you "need answers." I agree. Now that I've pointed you in the right direction, the answers you seek should be readily attainable.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
sharing personal experience/question about donations
Next
My Last Visit

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.