Woo-Hoo....but what about 3 months from now?

Hi Dr. Bob,

I recently tested negative using an OraSure (?) test at a local health clinic (WOOO-HOOO!!!!). But within the three months prior to taking the test, I had received unprotected oral sex (BJs) on a few occasions from a sex worker. Would you consider this form of sexual activity low risk enough to not warrant another test three months from now? Or do you believe that the "theoretical" risk is enough that another test is warranted?

I just want to also say that your site has provided me with an abundance of knowledge and reassurances and that a donation is on its way. Keep up the good work!

Thanks again, Business Dude

Hello Business Dude,

Only you can decide whether to get HIV tested. All I can do is let you know the level of risk. Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. We cannot say the risk is nonexistent. Many guidelines suggest that sexually active folks with multiple partners (even with only low-risk exposures) get STD screening every six months. Remember, some STDs are much easier to contract via oral sex than HIV.

Hope that information helps you make up your mind about testing.

Thank you for your donation! It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck. Stay well, Dude.

Follow up to May 10th entry by Mr. Distressed. No Woo Hoo yet.. .
WOOO HOOO....Please can I get an echo