Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused, May I Please WOOHOO?
May 25, 2004

Dr. Bob

May I please WOOHOO? Long story short, I had what I considered a high-risk male-female encounter. After 14 weeks and 3 days, I had the whole gambit of tests ran on me, including HIV.

In the mean time I have had a plethora of symptoms. You name it; Ive experienced it except for Kaposis Sarcoma.

I received my results today. Much to my relief my urologist said I was HIV negative (along with everything else being negative as well). I asked if it was an ELISA that was performed. He said that no, it was a HIV screening, and that my white blood cell count was normal. If the WBC information had come back differently, then an ELISA would have been performed.

Am I out of the woods yet? I am happy with the result; I guess Im just concerned about its accuracy. The man teaches medicine at a large university, and is often published in some urological journal. So, I would assume that he knows what he is talking about.

I can identify with your other readers, and would like to say that your forum and my faith in God are what have kept me sane. I will still read your forum because I really can identify with their feelings, and your great sense of humor about such a sensitive topic.

I also would like to make a donation to your foundation. You take a lot of time to help people like us get through these trying times, and I figure that the least I can do is give a donation to help out those that have this horrendous disease to hopefully be able to give them a new lease on life.

May I please WOOHOO.

Another worried guy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Guy,

Your question is entitled, "Confused, May I Please WOO-HOO?" Unfortunately, from the information you provide, I cannot answer your question, as I too am a bit confused. What exactly does your urologist mean by "HIV screening?" If he's basing that solely on your WBC count, he's woefully misinformed, and you would unfortunately not be "out of the woods." WBC tests cannot be used to screen for HIV. Only a specific HIV test can do that.

If you placed yourself at risk for HIV infection, you need an HIV test, no matter if your WBC count is high, low, or normal. The urologist should know this. Perhaps you misunderstood what he told you about your HIV screening. At any rate, I'd suggest you contact him again to clear this up. Bring a copy of this post with you, if you think it will help. By the way, teaching at a large university or publishing in urology journals does not guarantee competence. After all, look at our president, George Dubya. He can't even ride a bike without falling off, let alone preside over the most powerful nation in the world!

Thank you for your willingness to help HIV/AIDS by making a donation. I'm sure your generosity towards others will generate some excellent cosmic karma. Hopefully, that karma will soon lead you to your WOO-HOO! Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
History Taking Question
Next
Stanford Cat gives a Proud WOO-HOO

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.