You are one amazing man!

Hi Dr Bob...

Before I jump into my question - I just want to say that you are an absolute 'god send (What ever god maybe)' You keep me (and others) laughing even during difficult times...Please, please keep up your most courageous attitude and love - For it takes a tremendous amount of love to do what you do (And I'm assuming this is just your spare time) day in and day out...

Now I will give you a situation that I went through with pretty specific time lines: I had intercourse with a female escort. Initially we started using a condom, but (being under the influence of alcohol should not only be a no-no when driving, but should be a no-no during ALL HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES) So you guessed it - the condom came off and feeling I must have been some sort of superman, I continued for approximately 10 mins with her - Now the one positive thing is this only involved vaginal (It was a total waste of money anyhow Didn't ejaculate) - not to mention foolish, and nothing else (no anal etc)...Ok now the problem started on the 3rd of march - I wised up went to get checked at a clinic for stds (not including HIV) Everything came back neg...So I thought I was in the clear...Now this is where I destroyed my character - My ex-girlfriend and I decided to get back together approx. 7-8 days after I had this encounter...And I swear to you that if HIV was even a thought in my mind at the time I would never put her at risk (Although we were not a great couple - I care and respect her a tremendous amount She is an amazing catch, a person who herself is a social worker in the addictions side of health care - March 23rd I got an extremely bad sore throat that lasted a couple of day, I had a cough a light runny nose, a stiff neck, and was exceptionally tired...I kept a record of my temp, but never did exceed the norm...This lasted for about 3-4 days...Now she also came down with the exact same symptoms the very next day that I started - However, I noted that she was a lot more tired than I was (she was sick for about 7days - Neither of us had a fever or rash... I panicked (It's one thing for me to become sick, but when she did, I kinda lost my mind) I went and got (antibody) tested March 30 - The test came back negative, and I am now waiting for a 70 post-exposure test... I am really concerned about this situation and would just like your opinion on the possible correlation with times as listed - If possible HIV symptoms, would she not exhibit symptoms a week later rather than a day after me...Q2 Would I still be tired if HIV was likely...Q3 Having a sore throat without a fever - is this common in seroconverters...

I might be over stepping my boundaries (and if I am, please please, do not answer) But would you care to share what your symptoms were at time of seroconversion, and time till antibody showed positive on the Elisa and wb...

I really thank you for your warmth and sincerity

Thank you kind sir...

Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding your specific questions:

Q1: HIV symptoms do not occur within one day of a possible exposure. (You can read about this in detail in the archives.)

Q2: HIV can make you tired, but then again, so can a gazillion other things like listening to George Dubya explain how "trees are the real cause of forest fires."

Q3: Sore throat and fever can occur with HIV ARS; however, the vast majority of sore throats and fevers have nothing at all to do with HIV disease.

As for my seroconversion reaction, there was nothing unique or unusual about it. No, it's not overstepping any boundaries. It's just that seroconversion symptoms vary greatly from person to person. Consequently, delving into great detail about mine really would serve no purpose.

Last, why get a 70-day test? I would recommend you wait at least three months in order to get a definitive test result.

Doctor, I will DONATE, and I am from San JOSE- PLEASE!
What are symptoms of ARS?