Doctor, I will DONATE, and I am from San JOSE- PLEASE!

Doc,

You're killin me for not answering. Please help me and do not ignore my email.

I am a virgin, I had oral sex back in Sept and became very sick two days later for almost three months. Then I waited 90 days and tested negative. THen In Jan I had oral sex again with someone I was dating and now sometime end of April I had a sore throat for two weeks- weird body aches, loose bowels, sore under arms and lower abdominal pain- all signs of the virus. Should I re-test given that the suggested time to test is 6 months rather than 90 days. I have never had sex and try to cut down risk, but I am worried that my oral sex episode has gotten me into deep trouble given my very strange symptoms. I will make a donation but please answer my question. I suffer from major anxiety and your expertise would be much appreciated. PLEASE DOCTOR.

Hello Virgin Worrier,

No, I'm not ignoring your e-mail. I have thousands and thousands to sift through, and as much as I'd like to, I just can't answer them all. Your situation is similar to others in questions I've already answered, so I won't elaborate in great detail, but rather refer you to the archives of this forum. This is probably also an excellent opportunity to remind everyone waiting for a response to their particular question to check the archives, because chances are I've already posted a reply to a similar question.

OK, back to you . . . . Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. (Read all about it in the archives.) Your negative test result at 90 days is definitive, in my opinion. Symptoms, no matter how "very strange" you think they are, do not equal HIV disease. If you remain worried, and have placed yourself at risk, get tested three months or more after your last potential exposure. It really is that simple. No, I'm not "killin'" you. Yes, you suffer form major anxiety and you should consider getting some counseling to help with that. Last, thank you for your willingness to make a tax-deductible donation to help provide crucial services to men, women, and children living with HIV/AIDS. Donation details can be found on the Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Feel better, OK?

Like...Yeah.
You are one amazing man!