The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help! Third request

May 14, 2004

I used a public urinal and while I was peeing, the toilet flushed on my penis. I later noticed that I had a chafed/small cut on my penis and started worrying that someone else's urine might have splashed into the cut and created a possible HIV exposure.

That was 34 days ago and since then I have become a nervous wreck. I am convinced that I have HIV and my symptoms have ranged from nausea and a constant feeling that I have to burp to periodic shortness of breath and a small canker sore on my inside lip. I had negative test results at 17 days, but we all know that means nothing.

My question is, can residual urine in a toilet contain HIV and are my symptoms something to be worried about?

Thanks Dr. Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino


The toilet "flushed on your penis?" Gosh, just how long is that one-eyed monster of yours???

Relax Stud; your risk of HIV transmission from this episode is nonexistent! That's right zero, zip, zilch! nada! Got it? Good! HIV testing is neither warranted nor necessary, even if you used your Mr. Happy as a drain plunger. Urine is a sterile fluid and does not contain HIV. So your constant feeling that you have to burp (whatever made you think that was an HIV symptom?) must be related to something else, such as supersizing your Happy Meals.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Contact through thin pants
Raincoat only on halfway before the storm

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint