Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Short n Sweet
May 14, 2004

Hey Dr. Bob, I hope you had a nice time in Florida! I also just wanted to tell you I really admire the work you do and THANK YOU! I'm going to try and make this short and sweet because I know you are probably backed up with many emails. I got an HIV rapid test done at 91 days post-incident. Said "incident" was giving a guy unprotected oral with some ejaculate getting into my mouth. Now I'm scared I'm going to be one of those 6-monthers...I thought this was going to be OVER!! And I can't go back to the Health Dept for an anonymous test because the rapid test guy told me not to come back and gave me kind of an evil look(hes seen me in there on two other occasions during my window period)But I do realize that all of my testing is a burden on their resources. Now I feel like I need to get tested for closure so I thought about going to my Dr. for a full STD screening but I'm afraid if I'm positive it would go on my records. AHHHHH! What should I do? Is further testing or psychological help warranted. I just need CLOSURE! Please advise. Thanks so much! Ms. Paranoia

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dear Ms. Paranoia,

If the anonymous testing site at your local health department is ready to put a restraining order on you, I'd say you've probably had more than enough testing. No, you are not a "6-month-er" Your "incident" carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. Multiple negative tests out to 91 days is definitive. You are HIV negative. If you can't accept your negative status, then counseling may well be you best bet for "closure" on this issue.

Good luck. Feel better.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Killer thighs from down-under!
Next
Contact through thin pants

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.