Nutt Job needs your help!

Hi Dr. Bob,

First, thanks for being there to help all of us with our questions. I will be making a donation to your foundation.

Here is my problem: I gave a stripper slight oral sex for about ten seconds and we french kissed. Feeling extremely quilty that I cheated on my wife I went to see my doctor and he told me that I could'nt get it that way and told me to stop worrying and go home and make love to my wife. He also told me that I had an aniexty disorder and gave me some anitdepressents to calm me down. I took his advice and had protected sex with my wife but I still felt extremely guilty and could'nt stop thinking about what I did. Also, I told my wife what happened and she decided to stay with me. I still want to make sure I was fine so I had a DNA PCR test done at 10 days and another at 28 Days. I also had antibody test done at 17 and 30 days. All came back negative. The testing facility said that the 28 day PCR was conclusive and there was no way I contracted HIV from the experience I had. I started to feel a little better and I've had unprotected sex with my wife on a few occassions. I still feel like something is wrong with me so I had 2 more antibody test done, at 7 & 9 weeks. Both were negative but I still cant thinking that I have HIV and I gave it to my wife. We also have 3 kids and I'm worried that we may pass it on to them by casual contact somehow. My wife, doctor, and friend at the testing facility all think I'm crazy but when my wife has anything wrong with her I freak out. She was extremely fatigued like she was when she was preganant and took another preganacy test and it was negative. Isnt this a symptom? Also, just the other day she complanied about her arm hurting like it was going num, her legs were swelling like they do when she's preganant and she had a headache. Do you think I am crazy like everyone else or should I get another antibody test done at 13 weeks? I also have the following symptoms: pain in back of my neck,shooting pains in all lymph node areas, my muscles ache, and I've had a cough ever since the experience. I had a little cough before that happened and now it's allergy season but it's not going away. Please I need your help because I am getting very worried that I have HIV and extremely angry at my doctor for not giving me better advice. I didnt know much about HIV and if my doctor would've told me to wait and get tested and 3 months I would've of listened to him.

Sincerely,

Nutt Job

Hello Nutt Job,

Your risk of contracting HIV from 10 seconds of "slight oral sex" and French kissing a stripper is essentially nonexistent. Add to that nonexistent risk multiple negative HIV tests out to nine weeks, including a 28-day DNA PCR, and I'd say you are definitively HIV negative. Your symptoms are very consistent with anxiety, guilt, and depression. Your HIV fears are unwarranted and irrational. If you want to test at 13 weeks, go ahead. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

You need to stop chasing a disease you could not possibly have and begin confronting a medical problem that is making you ill anxiety. Ask your doctor for a referral for counseling. Bring a copy of this post with you to your first session and give it to the therapist. I'm quite confident that with the proper care, you'll soon be feeling much better.

Thank you for your donation. It's warmly appreciated.

Its a bird, Its a plane........No, Its A....
Mr. Cranky Pants