hot in rio

Dear Dr Bob, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Last night I had sex with a guy I met on the internet. I was the bottom. While we were fucking the condom broke. It made a noise so he immediately pulled out and changed condoms. We were both really hot so we carried on fucking until he came ( he withdrew in order to shoot his load over me). I didn't notice any pre-cum on his cock before he came. He said he wa HIV-, and so I shouldn't worry about the condom.. When I checked it later I couldnt see any pre-cum inside of it (or in the second condom we used). PEP is available in Rio but only for health workers or in cases of rape. What are my chances of remaining negative doc?

Hello Carioca Hottie,

Rio is one of my favorite cities on the planet! Of course who wouldn't be captivated by the sizzling samba (on cha-cha heels), the vibrant beaches, the tasty caipirinhas, and the near-naked five-night/four-day nonstop party of Carnival!

OK, on to your question . . . . Your risk of HIV transmission remains low, but not nonexistent. The risk is low because your exposure was extremely brief, your partner did not ejaculate inside you, and we do not know his HIV status. Your risk for HIV transmission for this single episode of receptive penile-anal sexual exposure due to a failed condom would be less than 0.1% - 3.0%. In other words, your chances of remaining HIV negative in spite of this potential exposure remain excellent. Yes, HIV testing would still be warranted after the window period, but the odds are all in your favor. Even if PEP were available, I probably would not encourage taking it for the level of risk you describe.

Good luck on your tests. When the results come back negative, you can yell WOO-HOO from the top of Pao d'Acucar (Sugarloaf) Mountain!

the agony of the window
Serious Gaffe in Canada