Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Easing the paranoia
May 12, 2004

I had about a 5 second receptive potiental exposure through oral sex. I freaked, and stopped the act. I was tested at 16 weeks for HIV, heps and other STD's and told to come back at 6 months for a definitive HIV test. I then tested at 32 weeks, 56 weeks, and have taken home tests at 58 and 60 weeks. But if I get a cold sore I panic. If my wife has a headache I panic. The clinics here won't even test me anymore because it is so ridiculous. The difficult part is there are so many sites on the web about HIV and if you look hard enough you will find one that says it could be hidden for a year or something else ridiculous. Then people like me can feed the paranoia. Thank you for your site. It gives me peace at my worst moments and I have had to get help. My doctor says," the problem is not HIV, you are negative, the problem is in your head". The funny thing is you could get HIV and potentially live 10 or 20 years. You could find out you have cancer and not make it a year. But HIV is the big one to worry about even when there just are not any more tests out there any more to convince you. Thank you for you information. I consider you and this site an expert source for information and you have really helped me. As nuts as I seem. Please let me know where I can send a donation to help your cause. Thanks, Mr. paranoid

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mr. Paranoid,

You are certainly not alone in your struggle! Just read through the extensive archives on the forum and you'll see exactly what I mean. Irrational fear of HIV is remarkably common. You'll also see that it can be controlled and eventually conquered with the appropriate counseling and therapy. I have absolutely no doubt you are HIV negative. Continue to work with a counselor to separate fear from fact, and fantasy from reality.

Donation information for my foundation can be found at www.concertedeffort.org. The Foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Feel better. I'm sure you will.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sitting in a Tree....K-I-S-S-I-N-G
Next
the agony of the window

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.