scared girl with question that probably applies to many many teenagers or young adults...help please!!!

Dear Doctor Bob, I recently wrote you, but I still have not received an answer, which is totally understandable considering all of the letters you receive. However, I kind of just decided to go with the two is better than one thing, and write you another. I am a nineteen year-old, female, heterosexual college student who recently took an aids test. I have no symptoms, but i still feel very anxious about getting my results back. From the time I lost my virginity at age 14, I have slept with ten people. The first was also a virgin; the second was clean; although i dated the third for only a few weeks, i slept with him twice and i am unsure of his status but i still see him very often so I am hoping that I would have heard something; the fourth was a one night stand with a person i knew and also with protection, as were the fifth and sixth;the seventh and eighth were also one night stands and protection was used, but i did not know them very well; the ninth however, was a one night stand, unprotected with someone i just met on vacation. I know that all of my past partners, with the exception of the boy from vacation, did not use injection drugs and were not homosexual or bisexual. My current boyfriend, who makes up my tenth and last partner, has not been recently tested, but about five months after we began dating, he donated blood at a center. His blood was clean, so he told me I should not be so nervous about my results. But I'm still scared and its beginning to consume my life. I feel that I have learned such an important lesson from all of this, but I also feel that the battle is not over yet. I also know that many teenagers/young adults may age party a lot and usually have premiscuous sex, so I was hoping this could be answered for them to. Thanks so much for your time! Donation will be sent

Hello Scared Girl,

Your risks are no different than any other sexually active person's. If you had unprotected sex, you've placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV. You cannot rely on what a potential sex partner tells you regarding their status, nor can you rely on test results that are days, weeks, or months old. You must assume all partners could be HIV positive and take the appropriate measures to protect yourself. You do not mention the type of sex activity you had with your 10 partners, or if it was protected or commando. Consequently, I can't comment on the estimated per-episode risk statistics for your particular situation. However, you can check the archives on this forum, as I quote the various statistics frequently.

Getting tested is the right thing to do. Good luck on your test results. We'll all send you our very best karma. I also hope the "important lesson" you learned is that proper use of a latex condom can prevent a whole lot of worry!

Mad Max's response
Please dont judge by symptoms!!