Concerned, Blood Donation Initial Screen Positive

Hi Dr. Bob,

In May 2003, my then girlfriend went to donate blood, one month later we were given the distressing news that the initial screening test showed a positive reaction for HIV, the follow up test was indeterminate and the NAT was negative. On receiving this news I went in July 2003 and got myself tested and the result was negative. Our family physician decided my girlfriend should be tested 3 months later which she did and her test came back negative. In late September of 2003 we had unprotected sex. In March of this year, 5 months 1 week and 5 days later after this experience I went and got myself retested and the test came back negative. Should I still be worried?

Concerned

Hello Concerned,

No, you have no reason to still be worried. Your girlfriend's initial screening test was a "false positive." The multiple negative follow-up tests are conclusive that it was the first screening test that was in error. Both you and your "then girlfriend" are HIV-negative. You can check the archives on this site for additional information about false-positive test results.

Stay safe; stay well.

Scared girl from torino
HIV INTO RED CROSS BLOOD SUPPLY!?