Got Syphilis but HIV Neg- Wooohoooo!

First of all, I wanted to say thank you for all of your comforting words that I have read over the past 3 months. I never posted a question though. I recently had a high-risk encounter where I had unprotected anal (bttm)/oral sex with a person of unknown status. To make it worse, I was in the secondary stage of Syphilis. (I did not know at the time) I contracted Syphilis by having oral sex with a man that I did not know on a cruise that I went on in late August. Well, I finally sought treatment when my symptoms of secondary Syphilis were continuing to get worse. They treated me (and my contacts) and suggested that I have a test for HIV. I did not know that Syphilis could increase your chances of getting HIV until then. My doctor did a baseline test (3rd generation EIA) at 20 days from my last encounter. This test was negative. She then suggested that I have another test at 8 (EIA again) weeks. I did. Also negative. Finally she said that I needed to have another test at 12 weeks. I just got my results back (Home Access- Doc said that HMO might get suspicious) negative. Also, the guy that I had the unprotected sex with got his results back. Negative as well. Big WoooHooo from Atlanta, GA. I called my doctor to tell her and she said that it is conclusive and not to worry anymore. I have learned a lot about HIV and other STDs over the past few months. I know that I will NEVER have unprotected sex EVER again. Also, I would like to volunteer some of my time to help people living with HIV/AIDS or prevention. Do you know a good place in Georgia where help is needed? I have also made a donation to your charity ($100.00- I am a poor college student). Thanks again, and I wish you all the health and happiness in the world! (P.S.- You sure are a cutie)

Thanks,

Not worried in Georgia anymore!

Hello Not Worried in Georgia Anymore,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story! It points out several things I frequently mention in this forum:

1. Even though the chances of contracting HIV via oral sex are extremely low, other STD's can be transmitted quite easily by sucking or getting sucked. These include syphilis, herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and NGU.

2. Having certain STD's can increase your chances of getting infected with HIV. Open sores or blisters can provide an easy way for HIV to enter the body. Also, white blood cells that collect at the sites of inflammation or STD infection may increase the chances for HIV transmission.

Congratulations on your negative HIV test results and getting your secondary syphilis treated!

What's up with this "HMO might get suspicious" nonsense? That's absolutely ludicrous! HMO's should not be driving medical decisions, and your doc should know better than to have you paying out-of-pocket for medically indicated tests. The only thing suspicious is why she had you test at eight weeks, as testing prior to three months is not considered definitive. Oh well, that's all history now. But don't ever be intimidated by an HMO. I've found that if you stand up for your rights, they will eventually back down, as they are frequently wrong. Hopefully, HMO's will someday become as obsolete as dinosaurs and Bush/Cheney bumper stickers.

Thank you for your very generous $100 donation. Your halo in the afterlife just got a bit brighter, and you've racked up some excellent cosmic karma!!! On behalf of all the struggling folks that will be touched and helped by your compassion, please accept my heartfelt appreciation. Stay well.

thanks for the response
please nswer il donate $50,00......please HELP WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET YOUR ATTENCION DROP MY PANTS HEHEH