Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sore throat after giving a blowjob
Apr 5, 2004

Hello, I am writing because I am worried I might be infected with an STD. After reading all the Fforum messages, I realize that the risk of contracting HIV from oral sex is quite low. I understand that the risk of getting other STDs is not as low, however. I gave unprotected deep-throat oral sex to guy last week and my throat has been sore ever since. I also swallowed some of his sperm. I started feeling pain in my mouth and throat right after the blowjob and it is not going away. My question is: how do I go about testing for STDs if they are in my mouth? Will blood tests detect gonorhea/clamydia/syphillis and all of those other STDs and if yes, how soon after exposure will tests be correct? Or will I have to have cultures done on my throat? If cultures are needed, do I need to go to a OB/Gyn for that? If I ask my partner to get tested for STD and the results come back negative, would that mean I am safe? Please let me know what I can do to put my mind at ease, I am freaking out and extremely scared about what I might have...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You want to go to your Ob/Gyn because your throat is sore? Geez, if you had a hemorrhoid, would you go see your eye doctor? Your internist or general medical doctor is probably the best place to start for routine STD screening. You are correct that some STD's, especially those that cause sores and blisters (like syphilis and herpes), are easy to get from all types of oral sex getting or giving. Other STD's, such as gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and NGU, are also fairly easy to contract orally. Screening for various STD's is done by a variety of different means, including some culture techniques, as well as blood tests. If your throat is sore now, a week after your deep-throating adventure, then don't wait. See your doctor now for an evaluation. He/she will know which tests to run. For a definitive HIV test, it is true that you must wait for at least three months. But don't let that stop you from getting other STD screening right away. Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
A big WW WOOOOOHOOOOOO
Next
HIV+, Doing Coke, & Having Unprotected Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.