NON SEXUAL. WOULD YOU GET TESTED??

Hi Dr Bob,

The other day I helped a friend of mine put shelving paper in her cabinets. I was holding the paper while she was cutting it with an exacto knife. She accidently cut her finger with the knife and bleed a little. She then handed me the knife and I continued to cut the paper. I then cut my finger. I don't think that I bled. It looked like a long paper cut. My freind is an ex-heroin (intravenious) user. She has been clean for 6 months. She has not taken any STD tests. And I am not close enough to her to ask her to get tested. So, do I need to take a test in 3 months? Would you be concerned about this? Would you take a test?

Thanks so much Colleen

Hello Colleen,

The decision whether or not to get tested can only be made by you. What I can do is let you know your level of potential risk of HIV transmission. Based on the information you have provided to me, your risk is essentially nonexistent. Should you still decide to get tested, yes, the three-month test would be definitive. Now that I've answered your question, will you come over and help me line some cabinets in my garage?

Stay well.

Protected Sex Question
hello from a Canadian fan