Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TB test & HIV im confused or just FREAKIN OUT
Mar 25, 2004

Hello Dr. Bob, I just want start out by saying that I think the work you are doing is brilliant! My question is kind of wired , but I hope it makes sense. Its been 3 months since the last time I had any sexual activity. Form what I have read on this sight I understand that my risk factor is low, the last sexual active I had was oral sex received and gave and mutual masturbation, no one ejaculated on or in anyone. I got test with the Rapid test at 7 and 12 weeks and both came back negative. A few days later I had to get a TB test and get immunizations for messals and mumps for a new job. My TB test was negative but my skin reacted funnie to the test it bruised and looked like a rash but the nurse said it was a negative reaction, after checking it twice but didnt seem 100% sure witch scared me.. Afer the immunization shots one of my lymph nodes around my ear swelled up. So my questions is if I have HIV would it have effected my TB test and immunization shot? If so wouldnt my 12 week test have come back positive? Please help me with this question. I dont know if Im being just way to paranoid or not. show I get tested again? Please Please help me.

Thank You

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

No sex for three months? No wonder your question is "wired!" I'd be ready to bust!

OK, first things first. Oral sex carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. Mutual masturbation carries essentially no risk. Assuming your rapid test at 12 weeks was an FDA-approved test kit (OraQuick or SUDS), your results are indeed definitive, and no further testing is warranted or necessary. So WOO-HOO! You're negative!

Next, since you definitely don't have HIV, you needn't worry about how HIV would or would not affect a TB screening test, right? OK, so you're worried nonetheless. Here's the scoop. In folks who are HIV-positive, we "read" TB tests slightly differently. Redness and swelling (induration) of 5 mm or more at the injection (PPD) site constitutes a positive test. (In HIV-negative folks, it takes 10 mm of induration for a test to be considered positive.) Bruising at the injection site is common and is not at all worrisome.

OK, hope that puts all your unnecessary fears to rest permanently, because that's exactly where they should be.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A student in Trouble
Next
Window periods suck

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.