Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elisa Test Result Was Rushed
Mar 25, 2004

Hi Bob , is it possible to receive an elisa antibody/antigen test result within one hour. I was told it took days to get an accurate result from this type of test. If the elisa test was rushed and results were given in one hour, can i trust the results of this test. I believe they used the newer generation elisa test. Is it possible newer generation test results can be received in one hour, i was told by a doctor it is unlikely to be accurate. Pls give your advice.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First everyone was complaining ELISA test results took too long to come back, and now you're worried they were "rushed?" OK, here's the scoop. There are two FDA-approved rapid tests: OraQuick HIV -1 Antibody Tests and SUDS HIV-1 Test. OraQuick results can be read by the provider at the site of care. Results are available within 20 minutes. Sensitivity and specificity of the test exceed 99%. Negative tests are regarded as definitive; positive tests need confirmation by standard serology (the "old" non-rapid way).

Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Got tested and I'm negative
Next
BOB, We Dem's LOVE YA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.