Dr. Robert Please

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have been a fan of yours for years and continue to be impressed by your compassion. I only wish more doctors were like you. Too many think they are "masters of the universe." this is what I mean... My unprotected sexual encounter was insertion into a vagina. I was told by a doctor this carries lessr risk than anal sex (he said less amount of tissue being ruptered). Then less than a week later I got a high fever and then nausea. it looks like ARS. It feels like it too. Doc is worried it can be HIV. Questions for you dear sir:

1) Does the FACT I was so sick after intercourse correlate with a high viral load?

2) It is now 7 months ago and in the morning I wake up feeling sick. Nauseous. I have been eating a lot of bluberreis to help my system but that does not seem to help. Doctor says I have to wait 9 months for conclusive test result. I am at wits end. Does HIV cause sickness in the morning? If so, from your immunological point of view, what can it be?

3) I know you can't diagnose over the net but does itchy collarbone nodes (and neck too) suggest Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma at any pint?

Thank you Dearly Dr. Frascino.

-Frank

Hi Frank,

First off, fever and nausea are extremely common symptoms. Immediately assuming "it looks like ARS" is taking a very unjustified quantum leap not at all substantiated by statistical risk. In other words, symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease.

Next, I have no idea why your particular "master of the universe" got the idea you needed to wait nine months for a conclusive HIV test result. Even the most conservative of organizations would say six months is plenty. So if it's been seven months since your encounter, go ahead and get tested.

To answer your specific questions:

1. No, not necessarily. Most likely, your symptoms are not related to HIV.

2. What are "bluberreis?" Perhaps blueberries? Actually, neither blueberries nor bluberreis would be expected to help; this condition. In fact, eating a lot (or too much) of anything could, in and of itself, make you nauseous. No, "morning sickness" is not commonly related to HIV; being pregnant, yes, but HIV, no. I would doubt "immunology" has anything to do with your problem. Stress is a more likely culprit, and since your name is Frank, we can rule out pregnancy.

3. Itchy collarbone nodes "suggestive of cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma at any pint" what? Your quantum leaps into the illogical and intensely improbable continue. Is every tension headache you get a malignant brain tumor?

Frank, calm down! Get HIV tested and stop eating so many bluberreis! Good luck.

You know I'm infected and don't want to start a panic?!? Donation made!
Timing of ars symptoms... INFORMED question (4th attempt)