Back from Bio and got mono

Hi Doc:

Im back from my second Bio treatment. Face looks better and better. It still freaks me out to see my pre-lipo face in the mirror. If you recall I wrote you concerned about my rising CD8s. I felt really tired and weak before I left. While in San Diego I became increasingly weak and felt so bad I can not even describe it. I was blaming it on my meds, Well my AWOL Doc never reviewed ALL of my labs prior to my leaving. The morning after I arived back in New orleans I called him now running a 103 temp. Had I not called him he would have not have even looked at my labs which revealed active EBV mono. So here I sit sick as a dog and a bit angry too I might add. Its a sad state of affairs dude when I have to track down my doctor (who gets 145oo per each of my visits I might add) and beg his Nurse prac. who cant read labs to PLEASE ask my doc to look at my labs. Any tips on dealing with EBV by the way??? Hugs from Beau

Hey Beau,

Your pre-lipo face isn't supposed to freak you out unless, of course, you looked like Donald Rumsfelt before your treatments. Glad to hear the Bio's working well!

Yes, EBV is one of the causes for rising CD8's. I was going to mention it along with a whole list of other conditions in my last response to you, but decided against it, because some of the conditions require a rather lengthy explanation, and I didn't want to bore you with hypotheticals. Now, about that doctor of yours who doesn't bother to review abnormal laboratory reports . . . . Have you considered firing his incompetent sorry ass? New Orleans has some excellent (competent and compassionate) HIV/AIDS specialists. Check the American Academy of HIV Medicine's website for a list of certified specialists in your area (www.aahivm.org). Alternatively, just stay out here on the West Coast. Sure, you might miss the beignets, chicory coffee, and Mardi gras beads, but hey, with that handsomely remodeled kisser of yours, you should be hanging out at the beach with all the other surfer stud-muffins.

As for EBV tips, unfortunately there is no quick fix. You're just going to have to ride it out with all the usual common sense measures lots of rest, good diet, chicken soup . . . stuff like that. Analgesics (aspirin, Tylenol, etc.) are usually sufficient to control the fevers, headaches, sore throat, and other discomfort. Most folks recover in two to four weeks with a gradual return to normal activities. Your doctor should monitor you for spleen enlargement and other complications. He/she may also draw another EBV titer to monitor how your immune system is handling the infection. Plan to spend the next few weeks relaxing rereading all five volumes of Harry Potter, perhaps? Rewatching all six seasons of Sex and The City? Listening to the collected works of Barbra Streisand on CD? Making crank phone calls to your ex-doctor? Fun stuff like that.

Good luck, Beau.

Why PEP could not save you Dr Bob
Sent 6 emails to Dr. Bob, no response. PLEASE HELP!!!!