Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I had a panic attack last night, HELP !!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 14, 2004

Hi, I am in desperate need of help. I am so nervous, I end up having a panic attack last night. I had unprotected oral sex with a guy who a week later I found out was HIV positive. There was no pre-cum or ejaculation to my knowledge. 20 days later I developed a cold sore on my corner of my mouth, ear congestion, and my jaw and neck swelled up the next day. Three days later there was nasal drainage, runny nose, and coughing. My neck did go down except for one lymph node which is still inflamed. I am totally at loss, I am convinced I have HIV. My symptoms seem to me to be typical of ARS? Should I be concerned? Also, are you a betting man? I would bet you 20 a month for life I have HIV. If you want to take this bet, I will, if I hopefully lose, and will make a 20 donation each month for life.

Very, very sleepless, but not in Seattle, John

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Non-Seattle Insomniac John,

Sure, I'll take that bet!!! Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission.

The jaw and neck swelling were most likely linked to your cold sore, which may even have been secondarily infected with bacteria. Your symptoms are not typical of ARS.

Should you be concerned? Yes, but only because you are going to almost certainly loose your bet!!! On the upside, your 20 dollars a month will save up to 25 infant lives per month by supplying HIV meds to HIV-positive pregnant women!

John, if you are having panic attacks, you need to seek some professional help. Counseling and/or medication may be needed to help you through this difficult waiting period. Your fears are way out of proportion to any potential risk. I'm going to tell The Foundation Board that your $20 per month donation is as good as here! As they say in Fargo, "Ya, you betcha!"

Get some sleep, John. Dream of the good your donations will do and how relieved you'll be when I (along with the unborn babies) win the bet!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
The Frascino opinion on fingering/digital/etc
Next
silly aussie boy needs guidance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.