Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cough three weeks later
Mar 10, 2004

Dr Bob, I'll keep this short as I know you are busy.

After reading through many of your posts I have gone from freaked-out to slightly worried.

I had a contact with a female sex worker 1 month ago. I know receiving oral is very low risk, however during it she did finger my rectum, and she had rubbed her clit lightly a few minutes before. Later that night I noticed she had drawn blood which is when I freaked.

CDC said liklihood of transmission is very low, as are parralels I've looked up for WSW transmission.

I developed a cough a 3 weeks after, which has gone on for over a week. Diareha one time during this week as well plus a slight tenderness in my lymph nodes in my neck. I got tested at 25 days (Negative, thank God) and plan on re-testing at month 3.

I know average detectable levels happen at 25 days. My questions are: 1. Is 25 days the average or the mean? if it's the mean, what of people have converted at day 25?

2. If day 25 is 50 accurate of a true reading and Day 90 99.99 accurate, can I be 75 certain if I re-test at week 6 or some other day you specify. (how certain can I be before te full 90 days)

Vowing not to waste money on too much re-testing I'm going to donate equvilent for any tests I take :)

Dr Bob, this forum helps more people than you can ever know, please keep up the great work!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I totally agree with the CDC's assessment of your risk. I also agree that you should ratchet down your anxiety level from freaked-out to slightly worried. Your 25-day negative test is encouraging, but not definitive. I agree the three-month test would give you a definitive result in this extremely low potential risk scenario.

Next, regarding the average versus the mean and your risk percentage ratios, what are you? A math geek? Sorry guy, this type of statistical over-analysis is nothing more than mental masturbation, because a number of variables are not quantifiable or even identifiable.

The best I can offer is that your three-month test result would be considered definitive.

Thank you for your willingness to donate to my foundation. I hope knowing that those precious dollars are saving lives, rather than being wasted on and frankly unhelpful re-testing will give you some inner peace. On behalf of those whose lives will be touched by your gift, please accept my heartfelt thanks. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
THE MYSTERY AROUND PRECUM RISK
Next
From argentina the results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.