Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THE MYSTERY AROUND PRECUM RISK
Mar 10, 2004

HI,ILL BE STRAIGHT TO THE POINT SINCE U R TIME SO VALUABLE BUT BELIEVE ME IT S BEEN LIKE 1 MONTH OF SEARCH ON URE SITE WITHOUT DEFINTE ANSWER: DOES PRECUM TRANSMIT HIV OR NOT,YES OR NO? IN MY SITUATION I KNOW THE GUY EJACULATED OUTSIDE,SO ONLY EXPOSED TO PRECUM,ANAL SEX.PLEASE EASE MY MIND SO I CAN STOP SEARCHIN EVERY SINGLE NIGHTAND HAVING DIFFERNT RESULTS,EVEN ON URE SITE IT S CONTRADICTORY . THANX

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

There really isn't a mystery around pre-cum. Rather; it's just that your question does not have a yes or no answer. If you restated your question, "Could pre-cum transmit HIV?" the answer would be easier. So I'll tackle that question. Pre-cum has not been "scientifically proven" to transmit HIV. However, pre-cum has been "scientifically proven" to contain HIV. The amount of HIV can vary form guy to guy, and is dependent on many factors (viral load, amount of pre-cum, etc.). Consequently, the answer to the question is that there is a potential (at least theoretical) risk that infected pre-cum "could" transmit HIV. There is, of course, no ethical way to conduct a clinical trial to definitively prove or disprove this theoretical possibility. To return to your original question, "Does pre-cum transmit HIV?" the best answer would have to be that there is a potential risk of transmission.

So where does that leave you? Your risk was unprotected anal sex without ejaculation. Unprotected sex means there is some degree of risk for transmission of STD's, including HIV. Consequently, I would advise that HIV testing is warranted. Searching the Internet should not change this bottom line about the risk you placed your bottom in.

How much risk you are willing to accept in your sexual activities is a very personal decision. Sex, no sex; condom, no condom; oral, vaginal, anal; ejaculation, no ejaculation, etc., etc., etc. Risk assessment is part of our everyday existence. It must also apply to our sex lives as well. For instance, in life, do you ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Surf in the ocean, knowing that sharks live there as well? Eat your mother-in-law's famous Crockpot pot roast surprise? Life is never without risks.

Regarding pre-cum, the best I can offer is that risk does exist (even if it's only a low theoretical potential risk). You have to decide what to do about that (potential) risk. Just for the record: I wear a helmet if I ride a motorcycle, and I surf in the ocean, but I never, ever would consider eating my mother-in-law's pot roast. That risk, for me, would be unacceptable.

Stay well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE DR.BOB,ANSWER MY QUESTION.......NURSE....NEEDLE STICK INJURY
Next
Cough three weeks later

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.