Porno magazines, the side of the road, and teenage hormones run amuck! : Our Featured Presentation

Hi Dr. Bob,

It's future osteopath again ;). I'll resubmit my question since I didn't see it on the site. I need to tell my story. I've worried about this for three years in February, and have just never told anyone,ANYONE. First, I'd like to say that I feel so much empathy with those people who are scared about HIV. There have been points in the last three years of my life when I would cry myself to sleep I was so worried. Anyway, I have always been neurotic. I worry about everything. So, please tell me if I'm being stupid, I can handle it. Blunt, rude, even mean I don't care. Okay, here goes. Three years ago, I was walking with my neighbor around my neighborhood with her dog. I noticed some trash up on the street and told her that I was just gonna pick it up and throw it out; it was littered all over the place. So, we went back to her house, she hooked up her dog and went inside. I went back home and got some garbage bags. Well, when I got back to the spot, I realized this whole mess was a pornography magazine. Not thinking, I picked it up and threw most of it away. Being a teenage boy with hormones, and, sadly, naivate, I tucked one page in my pants to sneak into my house so noone would notice. So I went up stairs, took it out and hid it. I then started thinking about this: "What if someone had ejaculated on it?" It certainly came into contact with my urethra. I do not recall any actual ejaculate/semen on the pages, and I probably would have noticed a bunch of sticky goo on the page.....but it might have been dried. Could I have gotten anything if it came into contact with my urethra? I can't even believe I just typed all this. I'm sick. The past couple of days I have driven to two Department of Health testing places, but I always chicken out and can't bring myself to go through with it. I was diagnosed with a temporary disorder that causd blood to come out of my urethra, which the urologist said was not uncommon among pubescent boys. That has since stopped. Maybe it was related to the fact that I have had to undergo testosterone injections since I was not developing normally as a teen, maybe not. I am now 18, and, I think, quite well informed and aware. I think I can make sound judgements. Sometimes, my fear and compulsive worry can hinder my life. Do you think this is an example of that? Please be honest.......if you think I sound like an idiot, tell me. Thanks a bunch.

Hello future osteopath,

I hope I'm never mean or rude, but I'll admit occasionally blunt is probably appropriate. Speaking of being blunt, your risk of HIV transmission from this episode is exactly zero. Yep, that's correct zero, zilch, zip! nada!

I don't think you sound like an idiot, but I do think your fears are irrational and that's causing anxiety. I think you would benefit greatly from counseling. You state, "I have always been neurotic. I worry about everything." Going through like that is extremely difficult, and you can kiss a career in medicine goodbye, unless you address this problem. "Fear and compulsive worry" can not only hinder your life, but also make living it extremely difficult and far from enjoyable. To be blunt, life is a limited commodity and a very precious gift. Do you want to spend it hiding from nonexistent demons? Don't wait; get the help you need, O.K.?

too scared to test and no sex in the meanwhile
Well WooHoo To You Too Sir!!