Scared in St. Louis...

Hello Calvin.

I too am from the land of the blues. Ive been going through the blues lately too especially after reading about how high the HIV rate is in our hometown. Im scared to get tested as i know hiv is bad in the black community and my community-im BI. My girlfriend is black and has slept with a few guys here and there and i have given oral to a few. After reading over and over on websites we both are in high risk areas and groups. Im so scared man. I have never had flu symptoms or anything and she feels well. Now i have her scared and im all screwed up. I don't know what to do.

Response from Mr. Spinks

Hello neighbor,

You're absolutely correct in saying that HIV infection rates are growing among men who have sex with men and people of color. But it's not who you are but what you do that puts you at risk for HIV. As far as risk is concerned, you never stated if your girlfriend's activity was unprotected and you never stated any risk factors associated with your behavior. I need more information to do an accurate risk assessment.

If through your reading you believe that you and your girlfriend are at high risk and you're concerned about your status, get tested! HIV testing can be a scary thing, but remember that you are scared anyway. If your interested in getting tested or need some additional support call the AIDS/STD Helpline @ (314) 647-1144.

Take care and be safe!

Most crazy and amusing question ever
sorry, but you do disagree with bob: