Is my HIV antibody test false negative??

Hello there Dr. Bob.

First I would like to say that you are amazing! Thank you for this wonderful site and for your support.

question:

I had a 2 months relationship with man who claims he tested negative for HIV before we have sex. My last receptive anal and receptive intercourse sex with this man ended on May 3, 2003. I have been with my husband now for 9 months and who has not had any risk exposure except with me. I tested before we got together (1 month and negative), but it was before I knew there was a window period so, I tested again for the hiv1 antibody test after 7 months - negative (six months into our relationship). After reading this forum, I am afraid that there might be a chance that I infected my husband and he re-infected me. Please answer me. I cannot sleep until you do.

Is there a chance that I could have infected my husband then, he re-infected me and I test false negative.

Thank in advance for your response.

p.s. I would like to make a contribution to help hiv babies and would like to send a check. Is the address in this forum and who to make the check payable to? Would my contributions go direclty to the hiv babies if I indicate on check?

Sincerely, Worried Well

I'm not sure how or where you got the notion that you, after testing negative out to seven months following your last possible exposure, could have infected your husband, who then reinfected you and caused a false-negative test. I certainly hope you didn't get that wildly impossible notion from my forum or comments. Let me put your mind at rest:

1. Your negative tests out to seven months are definitive. You are HIV-negative.

2. Since you are negative, you cannot transmit HIV to your husband.

3. Since you cannot transmit HIV to your husband, and he has not had any risk exposures (including you), he cannot transmit HIV to you.

4. Having multiple negative tests out to seven months would make the possibility of a false-negative result essentially impossible.

OK? All cleared up? Feeling better? I hope so.

Thank you for your willingness to make a tax-deductible contribution to my foundation. Yes, you can specify exactly where you would like the donation to be used. The Foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Additional information can be found on The Foundation's website at www.concertedeffort.org.

I'm obviously moving you from the Worried Well File to the X-File (Ex-Worried Wells), OK?

Stay well (but not worried).

3 calls to CDC - 3 diff answers - PLEASE help!
The Good Doctor Is Always Right