Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

All for one & One for all...
Mar 8, 2004

Hi there,

first of all i just wanted to express how terrible i feel about the fact that such a destroying disease is hitting mankind, specially when its spread is linked to the beautiful act of making love (or call it "a fuck" if anyone prefers).

About 99 of all asked question are about single episodes, mostly short-timed ones(i just love these 10-30 seconds stories).

A)Isn't Hiv in over 99 of cases spread through REPEATED sexual intercourse with an infected partner ?

B)Should really everyone who had intercourse using a condom be taking a test ? (shouldn't we all rather DONATE the money we spend on mostly "useless" hiv-tests to a site like this one and save some real lives ?)

C) ... and NO i am not sposored by this site :)

D) I've read about at least 3 studies where magnetic & sexually active couples where monitored for 1-4 years, and none of the negative partner got infected. In this case wouldn't it be the truth to say that condoms ARE 100 safe ?

E) I heard that prostitutes in developed coutries have a much lower Hiv rate than the "civilian" population because they use a condom EVERYTIME they have sex. Any suggestions ?

By the way thank you for the great job you are doing for us, the ones that so much love to feed our fear with confusing information...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Here are some brief responses to your five points:

A. The risk of HIV is a per episode risk. So someone having their first sexual experience actually has the same per episode risk as someone having their one millionth roll in the hay. It's probably best to think of it as Russian roulette with a three-month waiting period after you pull the trigger.

B. HIV cannot pass through latex. If a latex condom is used properly and does not break, HIV transmission should not be a major concern. If the money spent on useless, repetitive, or unnecessary tests was applied to fighting the HIV/AIDS pandemic, I agree the effects would be astounding.

C. No, you are not, but if you can convince the WW's here to donate funds to needy AIDS service organizations, rather than wasting it on useless, repetitive, and unnecessary tests, my foundation would like to talk to you!

D. The reports on magnetic sexually active couples are very encouraging and reinforce exactly what I said in part "B" above. The reasons we can't say condoms are 100% safe include: a. They can, on rare occasions, break. b. They can be used improperly. c. Condoms not made form latex (or polyurethane) may not block HIV transmission.

E. My suggestion would be "these prostitutes know how to have sex and stay safe. Follow their lead: use a latex condom every time!"

Thanks for your comments! Stay safe and stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please Answer Q. about Circumcision
Next
Lapdance Addiction

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.