DNA PCR TEST

Hi Dr. Bob, I'm a gay male who recently tested negative (after waiting 28 days)on a DNA PCR test. Afterwards, I read somewhere on this website that this test should not be used for regular HIV testing in adults. The person administering the test said it would be as accurate as the standard antibody test as long as I waited 28 days. My only exposure is open mouth kissing - which I know is very low risk. My question is do I need an antibody test after 3 months or am I worrying for no good reason. Just for the record - I tested negative in June 2003 using the antibody test and haven't been sexually active for several years. Also, I would like to send a donation. Can you tell me who or where to send it? I love your website and really appreciate what you're doing. Thanks.

Open-mouth kissing is not considered a risk for HIV transmission, unless there are some very extenuating circumstances, whereby there would be a chance of blood-to-blood transmission. For instance, you both just had your wisdom teeth yanked out and decided to play tonsil hockey while still in the dentist's waiting room, recovering from your anesthesia. So, in other words, DNA PCR or ELISA antibody tests are really of no consequence here, because you don't really have any risk.

If you did have a risk, I still prefer the three-month antibody test, because DNA PCR tests only have a specificity of 98%, which is not considered sufficiently accurate for routine screening for HIV (without a confirmatory test). You can read all about it in the archives, but as I mentioned above, HIV testing shouldn't' really be of much concern to you, because your risk is essentially nonexistent.

Donations can be sent to:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Donation information (credit cards, direct wire transfers, etc.) can be found on The Foundation's website at www.concertedeffort.org.

Thank you for your willingness to help others.

Stay well.

Thanks a Ton!!!
My doctor insulted you !