I Pray you'll answer. Will Donate to the Cause!

Bless your humor, the endless work you do and the comfort and inspiration you give to thousands of people. I truly admire you and consider you a hero among men!

I have read everywhere that ARS symptoms (if at all) occur 4-6 weeks after initial infection. I was in my ninth week after a possible exposure (gave oral sex to a male of unknow status-did not cum in my mouth but I did get some cum in my mouth after he released onto himself) when I started getting the stiff neck, sore throat, small tiny red raised rash on my left side of back. Would 9 weeks be normal to get symptoms? Also, the damn oral sex question is driving me NUTS (pardon the pun). Has there been ACTUAL documented cases of getting HIV from giving oral sex. I feel like that if it could be contracted this way the HIV epedemic would be sky rocketing given its such a common act. Has there been a case? I'm tired of reading that there is a 6 out of 10,000 or 1 in 2500 chance and yet none of these cohort studies can say 100 that someone got the virus solely by giving oral sex. Very frustrating. I feel like I am losing my mind and all this for a couple drops of cum after it had been released into the air. Please help. I have another 4 weeks to go until I pass my 3 mos window and want to WOO-HOO so badly but your words could be comforting to get me past the next 4 weeks. I plan on donating to this site but in actuality the other dr's on this site are pretty short answered and you are the reason this site comforts people. Again, I applaud your every effort and wish the world had more people like you in it. God Bless You!

David-

Hi David,

I would definitely agree with you. If HIV were easily transmitted by oral sex, would there be anyone left on the planet by now? I doubt it! OK, maybe Phelps and Sheldon.

Regarding ARS, you can't rely on a time frame, as the condition is extremely variable from person to person.

As for documented oral sex cases, David, think about it. How do you expect us to "actually document" this fact? In large-scale studies, how do you prove that someone only had oral sex? Do you rely on what they say in a questionnaire? Most everyone today knows that unprotected anal and vaginal sex is risky, right? Now if you put some recent seroconverters in a room and ask them about their risk behaviors, some may be a bit reluctant to tell the whole truth or have a selective memory block. See the problem? So the best we can do is say there is a theoretical risk that HIV can be transmitted this way and that extenuating circumstances can increase that risk (recent dental surgery, bleeding sores, etc.). I know it's frustrating not to be able to give you a black vs. white answer, but in reality, the color gray does exist. Similarly an absolute yes/no response does not exist and maybe never will. What we do have is large epidemiological studies that show that this risk is extremely, extremely small. These are studies of folks who have had oral sex with confirmed HIV positive partners. We've learned from them that the risk of seroconverting from oral sex is remarkably low even lower than we previously thought. I've referenced and detailed several of these studies in the archives. You can read all the details there. Remember David, there is always a risk you could get struck by lightening while attending an outdoor re-election rally for Bush/Cheney. But the actual chances of that happening are incredibly small, right? Because who the hell would ever go to a Bush/Cheney re-election rally? Right? OK, OK, maybe Phelps and Sheldon again.

Your chances of WOO-HOOing at the three-month mark are astronomical.

I'll await your joy-filled yell, meaning either your HIV test is indeed negative, or that you found a real steal at the Barneys sale.

THE GUY FROM INDIA IS NEGATIVE!
Freaking out about first semi gay experience