Will be HIV+ on next test and scare

Hi Dr.Bob ,

I'm Indonesian. I'm age 34 ,a married man with a son age 9 and a daughter age 7 . My last exposure was last year 5th December, 2003. I received only an unprotected oral sex from a sex worker with unknown HIV status (No visible Blood). After 3 weeks, I feel tingling pain on my penis and I went to see a doctor and told the doctor about my unprotected sex. The doctor didn't take any blood test, by assuming the Doctor said I had VD and gave me some antibiotic and injection.

After 4 weeks ,I develope stiff neck on both side and on week 6 , I got mild fever and sore throat and I went to the same doctor , he gave me some antibiotic . After a day my lymph nodes on both side on my groin start swelling and stiffness on both of my legs. On week 8 (day 55 ), I got tested for HIV (ELISA) and other STD, all came back negative .I know this is only encouraging result but not definitive. Today is my day 80 after last exposure, another 10 days for the 3 month definitive result . Dr.Bob, I really need your advice. I know that unprotected oral sex have extremly low risk but I am scare to hell because of the ars symptom I had. My swollen lymph nodes on my groin seems like never go away and cause me very uncomfortable when walking and sleeping. I can't eat well and no mood of working and I have lost 10kg of weight.

I know is not right to diagnose disease base on symptom but because the pain that I can feel on my groin once I start walking keep remind me that I am HIV positive for sure. I have never tell my wife and my parents about this. I'm really scare and you are the only person that I speak to . I know I will be seroconverted on my next HIV test on 5th March 2004.

I don't want to upset my wife and my parents, I'm the only son in my family.Sometimes I keep taking to myself and crying. What will happen if , I am confirm HIV positive ? I have no hope any more, no future !!!

I will be the first documented person to get HIV through receiving Oral Sex .

Scare and upset with no hope chris

Hello Chris,

First off, read through the archives on this site. There you will find hundreds (or more) of folks who were absolutely convinced they were going to be "the first documented person to get HIV through receiving oral sex." As you follow their stories and subsequent posts, you'll quickly see that none of them turned out to be positive!

Symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease. Your risk was extremely low. Your symptoms are not suggestive of ARS and your eight-week HIV test is negative (very encouraging). Your chances of seroconverting on March 5 are almost nonexistent!

Your degree of anxiety and stress surrounding this whole issue is way out of proportion to any real risk, and may be a consequence of your guilt. These irrational fears are most likely responsible for many of your symptoms. Consider getting some counseling to help you cope with your anxiety. It appears to me you are indeed one of the "worried well." I'll hold a provisional spot for you in the X-Files (Ex-Worried Well File), and await the results of your three-month test.

Regarding your "symptoms," if they are persisting, you'll need to have them evaluated by a physician. I'm not sure why your current doctor is handing out antibiotics so indiscriminately. You might want to consider changing doctors to find one who actually takes the time to diagnose a problem before trying to treat it!

I'll be waiting for your Indonesian WOO-HOO. Good luck.

Are there any other doctors on this site that are POZ
HELP for those who are WORRIED