Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thanks for accepting me as your Pal Again
Mar 6, 2004

Hi Bob, I am so happy to read your response. Thanks for accepting my apologies and I hope we can be pals forever. I am also honoured you reserved a spot in the x-filers, well here is my update and i'll let you make the decision.

Well i went back to the clinic regarding the 85 day rapid test. The nurse could not give me a definative answer. All she said was this was an Abottt's rapid test and was approved by the health ministry. I had my doubts.

I was skeptical about the results and a week later i went to a private hospital in singapore and took the Elisa test, they told me it was a combi antigen/antibody elisa test. I'm not sure what generation this was this but i got my results in two hours. It was negative again and this is 98 days past that last encounter in november last year.By the way,do elisa tests need to be FDA approved as well ?

Anyway ,you might be thinking that since this test was also negative, i have nothing to worry about anymore, well this is where i got even more worried.

Well Bob, I have a specific symptoms that has been bothering me alot. I was diagnosed with having thrush(Yeast overgrowth in the mouth) one month before this blood test and the the trush is yet to go away. I also developed rashes on my arms and legs which are raised,non-itchy,small which i've never seen before.

I know thrush can be due to many reasons but i've not been on antibiotics for a long time and i'm not diabetic. This white coating has only appeared recently and never before in my entire life.

To make things more uncomfortable for me, the doctor who took my last blood test told me to be back in 3 months due to that disturbing symptom in my mouth.

I have seen so many woo-hooers at 3 months. I took a rapid test at 84 days and a elisa test at 98 days. All negative. You told me you reserved that X-filer spot which i'm hoping to take up but these symptoms are making it so difficult. Why can't everyone have a definite answer to their hiv status by 3 months regardless of what symptoms they have. I do not intend to go for anymore testing as i just can't handle a different result. What is your definative opinion on my situation ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

My opinion has not changed. Symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease. Your tests are definitive. You are HIV-negative. The spot in the X-Files is yours, if you want it. However, it appears that you are still having some difficulty accepting the fact you are indeed HIV-negative. I would suggest you consider some counseling to help overcome your unwarranted fears. Anxiety is the only real symptom holding you back from your confirmed X-Files spot! I can't tell you what's causing your white tongue and rash over the Internet. But I can tell you what's not causing it. It's not HIV.

Dr. Bob

Previous
comment!
Next
symptoms not hiv after neg. test.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.