Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected receptive Anal with poz guy - wohoo desperately required
Feb 29, 2004

Hello Dr. I won't bore your with my sexual history or tell you how great you are - Im sure you know that already. I had unprotected receptive anal sex (With Ejaculation) with a guy who tested Poz just days later. He was good enough to find me and tell me this. I know this is the most serious risk and my world has been turned inside out. I physically cant fall asleep with worry. I have tested neg at 2,3,6 and finally 8 months. Only Hiv 1 as far as I know. All tests were performed by a clinic. Can I finally put this behind me, is 8 months really definitive knowing my exposure. Im doubting my results as my sleep problems continue. I have also read that Hiv can be a cause of disturbed sleep. When I do finally fall asleep I generally wake up at 5am. This is having a knock effect to my health (Mouth ulcers and eye Stys) which make me further doubt my results. Please Bob I really need your advice. Is that 8 month test finally enough testing. Is this sleep disorder likely to be hiv related. I really need to let this go. I have a family who need me.

Thanks Bob. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected receptive anal sex does indeed carry the highest risk for HIV transmission. Having a family who needs you should also remind you to take the appropriate steps to protect yourself from STD's, including HIV. Your estimated risk from this single episode is 0.1 3 percent. Testing negative at 2, 3, 6, and 8 months is indeed definitive. You are HIV-negative. Sleep disturbance and early morning awakenings are classic signs not of HIV, but of anxiety, depression, and stress. You may need to seek some professional counseling to help you cope with your feelings.

You just spent eight months feeling more scared than a dog outside of a Korean meat packing plant. That can take a toll on anyone's psyche!

Yes, a WOO-HOO is warranted. Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
39Yrs old African Male,tested positive one year ago
Next
Real People, Real Fears,Realy good Job

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.