Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doc Bobby - I need you
Feb 22, 2004

Doc Bobby, you have helped me so much just by reading your answers and giving positive yet real feedback to people on this site. I have expressed my gratitude as a donation of only 100 though I would like to give much more, I'm a student.

My question is kind of complicated. I will give you the rundown. On Dec 14 2003 I had a one night stand with this girl with a condom but I performed uprotected oral sex too- (something I have never done before and will ever do again...it was the single biggest mistake of my life) On Dec 17 I had unprotected sex with my then girlfriend. A week after the one night stand, the one night stand girl calls me and tells me she is HIV positive. At that point as I am now, I was so scared, but not at all for me but for my innocent girlfriend to be implicated into my mistake. I have just tested today for my 8 week results (will test at 12 weeks). But here is the worst news. My girlfriends doctor confirmed to her that she has Chlymidia - she caught it from me - who I caught from this mystery one night stand girl. I am a bad person and know one can change that I know. But here is my question:

People who have both Chlymidia and HIV transmit the disease to others easier. What risk is this beautiful innocent girl under for contracting HIV from that 72 hour period that I possibly did. She got Chlamydia...does that mean her chances of being infected greater? Do they go hand in hand? Chlamydia is a bacteria and HIV is a virus -does that make a difference? Please I need your advice. Thank you so much

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Calm down! Take a read through the archives and you'll realize that many STD's, like chlamydia, are quite easy to catch and transmit; however, others, like HIV, are not. Some STD's can make HIV transmission more likely. Those illnesses generally involve open sores, like active syphilis. Chlamydia is not one of those types of infections. You'll also learn from the archives that oral sex carries an extremely small risk of HIV transmission, even if your partner subsequently informed you she was HIV-positive. The odds are all in your favor that you have not acquired HIV from your one-night-stand. Yes, take your three-month test, but please realize you are not a "bad person," nor have you placed your girlfriend in grave danger or at great risk. I hope by reading this response and others in the archives, you'll be able to put things in better perspective and worry less.

Thank you for your very generous donation of 100 dollars. That amount can potentially save 125 infant lives by providing medication to HIV-positive pregnant women to decrease the risk that they will pass the virus on to their unborn children. On behalf of those 125 infants, please accept my heartfelt thanks. Being willing to help others, while going through your own medical worries, shows both true altruism and compassion.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I Implore You Kind Sir
Next
GAVE BLOOD!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.