I Implore You Kind Sir

To my Favorite Doc,

I want to start off by saying that I was thrilled to read that the mayor of San Francisco had allowed gay marriages the other day. If you and Dr. Steve decide to get hitched (or maybe already did!), I wish you too all the best and i only ask that i be invited to your 50th wedding aniversary!!!

Ok, well here i go. I was recently with a girl on February 6. We had protected vaginal sex twice that night. However we both performed unprotected oral on one another. Also, there was genital to genital contact due to frottage with her on top. I didn't worry at the time about the above actions because I used a condom for vaginal sex. Yet, i know this isn't enough in this day and age. Anyway, two days later, i had a pain in my pubic region. I checked my penis and saw that i had sores (or what i thought were) on the bottom of the base of my penis. So, needless to say, I freaked out. I went to the doc. He said timeline too short for genital herpes, he told me it was folliculitis and gave me a cephalexin prescrip. That night i woke up with a bad nightsweat and headache. Since then, I haven't had anymore nightsweats but now i have a bad sore throat as well as a sinus infection. What is going on with me?

Please Dr. B, i ask you to please tell me what you think about all that I have just described. It would be greatly appreciated. What do you honestly think my risks are?

Thank you so much, in a time when i need to study for LSATS and worry more about my academics, i feel that this problem has consumed me. Take care and i wish you a happy valentines day, and send along a happy one to Dr. Steve as well.

-College Student who needs to ace the LSATS, and an HIV test

p.s. I feel you should know, not because i think you will answer because of this, but i just wanted to tell you that since october of 2002, i have been a fan of yours and have read your posts every day since. This is also why i am kicking myself for making the mistakes i have just described. I should have known better.

Hi College Stud,

Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV seroconversion. Your only risk would be unprotected oral sex, which carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. Frottage ("dry docking" for those of you who don't have a college vocabulary yet) does not carry a risk of HIV transmission. Protected vaginal sex, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, is also considered safe. Since you'd been an avid reader since 2002, you are probably well aware that symptoms do not equal HIV disease. You've probably also read numerous testimonials from worried folks with a wide array of "symptoms," who, when tested, were found to be HIV-negative. I'm quite confident you will have a similar experience. Sinus congestion, sore throats, headaches, and even the occasional night sweat are extremely common symptoms that can be associated with many common conditions a head cold or sinus infection, for instance. Folliculitis after a night like yours (you mentioned the two-fer just to make the older guys reading this forum envious, didn't you?) is also extremely common and not worrisome. If you are worried, get tested (June or later). But I can tell you now that your level of risk is extremely low and that your symptoms are not worrisome. The LSAT O.K., yeah, that's something to stress about!

Also, don't' be so hard on yourself. You followed safe sex guidelines by using a condom for penetration. That's the most important safe sex rule. If you do as well on your LSAT as you did on your Safe Sex Test, you'll ace it with only minor, if any, mistakes!

We'll await good news on both your tests! And, yes, you will be invited to our 50th.

Worrying is a Waste of the Imagination
Doc Bobby - I need you