odds of a needle stick!

Hello, Dr. Bob. First of all I wanted to tell you that my tests came back, and WOO-HOO. HIV is not my issue at least for now. It's sooo true what you say, "Symptoms don't equal disease." I just want all the ww's to stop obsesing, get tested and breath that sweet sigh of relief! Nothing feels better then knowing for sure! (you can uncross your toes now:)

However I still have a question. My phisican told me that if one was to be stuck with a needle contaminated with HIV, one's chances of seroconverting to HIV+ is 1 / 1,000,000. Could this be true? I get the feeling that this is not true, But I am trying to decide whether or not to switch doctors because this is not the first time she has told me something that I question. THANKS DOCTOR BOB your the BEST.

MT

Hi MT,

Thank you for allowing me to uncross my toes. Oh-la-la, does that ever feel better! Now I need a good foot massage. Actually, since I just got back from the gym, a whole body massage would be even better.

Regarding your physician's statistics, I feel she is being a bit overoptimistic. The generally accepted probability of seroconverting from an occupational needlestick exposure with an HIV-contaminated needle is reported to be in the range of 1 in 300-400. There are many variables, of course severity of puncture, hollow-bore versus solid needle, viral load of the source patient, etc. etc., etc., which makes this statistic difficult to pin down precisely.

Should you switch physicians? If you don't trust what your current doctor is telling you, and if the information she gives you is proving to be less than accurate, then yes, you should find a more competent caretaker. While you're looking, if you happen to find a really good masseur along the way, can you give me their number?

WOO-HOO, MT! Stay well.

A Rare Gem.
89 days from potential exposure...woohoo??